Hart Huron Valley is a 100% volunteer nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that provides on-site support services to emergency responders in Washtenaw County. Everyday emergency responders put their lives at risk. Though the inherent dangers of their jobs are well known, extreme situations cause stress and fatigue that can jeopardize their safety and the wellbeing of those depending on them. By providing basic conveniences such as snacks, water, and a warm place to rest, HART reduces the risk of injury and improves the morale of local emergency responders.
HART was established in November 2014 and was inspired by the Livingston County DART (Disaster Assistance Response Team). The program’s formation was made possible by support from the Washtenaw County Mutual Aid Association (WAMAA), Huron Valley Ambulance and Peace Lutheran Church , which managed the program until it became in independent nonprofit in 2016. Thanks to the generous donation of a retired ambulance from Huron Valley Ambulance, HART is equipped with an outfitted vehicle that can arrive at the scene of a call to provide much needed services to emergency responders. HART relies on the support of sponsors, community members, and volunteers to serve and assist those who work so hard to keep our community safe.
HART Board of Directors
- President – Roger Simpson, Ret HVA Vice President Central Operations
- Vice President – Tim Andrews, Dexter Area Fire Dept.
- Secretary – Emily East
- Treasure – Stacy Cappelli, Branch Manager Dexter PNC Bank
- Doug Armstrong, Fire Chief, Dexter Area Fire Authority
- Michael Grissom, Lt Dexter Area Fire Dept
- Larry Courson, Ret Pastor Peace Lutheran Church
- Ralph Raiford, (LEO Rep) Ret U Of M Public Safety
- Bonnie Engstrom